Friday, January 20, 2012

Sick hearts

A sick, sinful heart of a four year old...  We see it all the time, even with our 9 month old, how sinful our hearts are, but yesterday just caught me off guard and made me incredible sad. Trevin lied straight to my face.  I watched him throw his sandwich in the trash and walk up to me and said he ate it all.  At first, I did not know how to react.  We talked about it, how what he did was called a lie and it was a sin and when we sin, we have to ask for forgiveness.  He prayed for forgiveness and told me he was sorry.  Then he got a spanking.

Today, it happened again.  I told him no snacks, and could hear him getting into the snack drawer.  He tells me he is going outside, little stink pot!  I made him show me what he was so obviously hiding behind his back.  We had the talk again, prayed for forgiveness, and had a spanking.  This time I also took away his new Cars cup.

Hopefully we will not have the same talk again tomorrow, but I won't hold my breath.

1 comment:

  1. :( These moments make being a mom so hard and to think about all those bigger lies down the road that are to come just breaks my heart. But it seems you did a great job handling it: going deeper with Trevin by showing him God's grace for us rather than just saying "no" and a spanking. I love that we are all going through some sort of stage of parenting together. :)

    ReplyDelete